|Vacancy Number:||HiH-Af 002/18|
|Position Title:||CAFOD Associate|
|Organization:||Hand in Hand / CAFOD|
|Duty Station:||Mazar e Sharif|
|Duration:||One year with possibility of extension|
|Gender:||Male / Female|
|Salary Range:||Based on NTA Salary scale|
|Announcing Date:||July 09, 2018|
|Closing Date:||July 22, 2018|
|Number of Position:||One|
|Job Type:||Full Time (07:30 AM – 04:30 PM)|
|Experience:||At least 5 years of relevant experience|
About Hand in Hand and CAFOD:
Hand in Hand Afghanistan’s (HiH Af) was established in Afghanistan in 2006. HiH’s mission is to work for the economic and social empowerment of the poor by working with self-help groups on the creation of enterprises and jobs, and the generation of higher incomes.
CAFOD, a member of Caritas International, is based in the United Kingdom. Our focus in on strengthening the capacity of local civil society to test and evidence locally-led models that deliver responsive, sustainable and pro-poor development. CAFOD is a partnership-based organization and we currently support 6 partners in Afghanistan. The programme covers four provinces (Balkh, Bamyan, Herat, and Kabul) and focuses on three thematic priorities: 1) strengthening sustainable livelihoods; 2) supporting local peace-building; and 3) fostering the capacity of civil society to collaborate and influence to promote effective governance.
CAFOD and Hand in Hand have worked in partnership in Afghanistan since 2017.
With the support of Hand in Hand, CAFOD is seeking to appoint a local representative to monitor the programme, undertake financial due diligence checks and provide technical accompaniment support to partners as needed. The successful post holder will be based with Hand in Hand in Mazar-e-Sharif.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Given CAFOD’s commitment to partner-strengthening – together with CAFOD’s responsibility towards stewardship, monitoring, accountability and learning – the aim of this role will be to strengthen partner support and programmatic oversight in Afghanistan. The specific objectives of post are to:
- Support partners to strengthen capacities and delivery, based on agreed capacity development plans, particularly for institutional funding (IF) supported projects. High priority areas are project design, MEAL, and financial management.
- Strengthen CAFOD’s direct monitoring and financial oversight of the Afghanistan programme.
- Facilitate partner learning exchange and collaboration opportunities, to strengthen the programmatic approach and position us for consortium opportunities.
- Build CAFOD’s in-country representation.
The postholder will be based in Hand in Hand’s Mazar-e-Sharif office and will be jointly managed by HiH and CAFOD.
Partner capacity support
- In line with the direction set by the Afghanistan country strategy and partner capacity development plans, support and accompany partners, particularly those receiving institutional funding in partnership with CAFOD, to strengthen capacities and delivery. This includes working with the partner(s) to identify areas of learning and support required throughout PCM;
- Contribute to the identification of how the needs can be met locally, regionally or internationally (e.g. either through CAFOD’s direct involvement or with CAFOD facilitating access to relevant providers);
- Support the monitoring and review of the capacity development plan, making recommendations to partners and CAFOD for its update or improvement;
- Contribute to resource mobilization for the implementation of capacity development plans, including assisting partners to identify and apply to donors, in co-ordination with CAFOD;
- Make appropriate recommendations so that the partners have the tools and support required to successfully implement their capacity development plans;
- Support partners to achieve CAFOD’s foundational quality standards;
- Work to regularly assess the quality of CAFOD’s relationships with the partners, supporting effective communication channels and developing measures to address shortcomings.
Strengthen CAFOD’s direct monitoring and financial oversight
- Review and approve all partner procurements over £1,000, which involve CAFOD funds.
- Conduct in-person monitoring of CAFOD supported projects. Collect direct feedback from project stakeholders to verify project progress and impact. Provide feedback to partners and CAFOD programme staff following visits and agree approaches to strengthening project delivery where relevant.
- Document programmatic lessons learned and case studies, to help raise awareness of the Afghanistan programme in England and Wales.
- Keep up-to-date with development issues and trends, within the coverage areas and sectors of the country programme, to contribute towards CAFOD’s programmatic decision making and risk/security assessments and plans.
- Routine monitoring of partner financial systems, including conducting Mango Health Checks with all partners every three years, and monitor progress against respective actions plans.
Partner learning exchange and collaboration opportunities
- Develop, nurture and manage relationships with and between CAFOD partners, and other stakeholders, in line with the principles and standards set in CAFOD’s Partnership Policy, guidance and tools;
- Make linkages and promote networking between partners and other organizations in order to strengthen their programmes and influence;
- Assist in facilitating learning exchange opportunities between partners.
- Advise CAFOD programme staff of strategies and opportunities to strengthen learning exchange and collaboration opportunities, based on the local context.
Build CAFOD’s in-country representation
- Broker and maintain relationships with key NGOs working in the coverage areas/sectors relevant to CAFOD’s Afghanistan programme.
- Monitor intel on funding opportunities and represent CAFOD’s interests with donors.
- Monitor security information provided by INSO and other stakeholders, and keep London-based CAFOD staff updated on changes to the security environment.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in international development, project management, sociology or related field.
- Experience of working in the coverage areas.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in programme management with experience of using programme cycle management tools effectively to deliver work within an agreed programme framework.
- Understanding of financial management, and willingness to learn CAFOD’s standards.
- Strong MEAL experience and skills.
- Strong inter-personal and relationship-building skills.
- Diplomacy skills.
- Able and committed to working with and developing the capacity of local partner organizations/ National NGOs
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
- Afghan national.
Interested Afghan nationals should submit their application, comprising an updated CV, a one-page cover letter explaining the candidates interest and suitability for the advertised position, and relevant educational supporting documents, to both of the following email addresses:
To: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position you are applying for in your emails subject line.
Application received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test/interview. The vacancy announcement is only open to Afghan national applicants.
Child and Vulnerable People Protection
CAFOD and HIH recognize the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable people, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect. CAFOD and HIH undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children and vulnerable people and to prevent their abuse. We are committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable people, seeing these interests as paramount.