|Minimum Education Level:
|Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Agribusiness, Development Studies, or other relevant discipline.
|Hand in Hand Afghanistan Organization (HIHAO)
|Based on the organization salary scale
|22 March 2022
|02 April 2022
|Number of Position:
|7:30 AM – 04:30 PM
|At least five years’ progressive experience in project management, with focus on agriculture and saffron projects is required.
Hand in Hand Afghanistan Organization (HIHAO) is a not-for-profit organization based in Afghanistan. It started operations in 2007. HIHAO is part of the Hand in Hand (HiH) Global network of independent organizations, working together towards a shared vision to alleviate poverty through job creation. The overall Hand in Hand mission is to promote the economic and social empowerment of women, by supporting the creation of sustainable enterprises, improved livelihoods and jobs.
HIHAO has implemented projects funded by DFID, European Union, CAFOD, WFP, GIZ, USAID, WB, Danida, Sida, Hilti foundation and Hand in Hand International across regions of Afghanistan.
Hand in Hand Afghanistan is implementing the “THE RED GOLD – Improving Afghan livelihoods through saffron cultivation” in Balkh province of Afghanistan. It is a 4 year project from April 2022 – February 2026 funded by the Swedish Postcode Lottery.
The purpose of the project is to introduce sustainable saffron cultivation as a way to increase household income. Saffron is resistant to drought, requires limited amounts of water and can serve as a profitable alternative to opium cultivation. In addition, saffron farming is a culturally and politically accepted occupation for Afghan women. Hence, the project will contribute to economic prosperity and poverty reduction in Balkh province, Afghanistan, through sustainable production of saffron.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Project Manager is overall responsible for the project implementation, managing day-to-day activities and liaise with sector stakeholders, represents HIHAO and the project in Balkh province.
The Project Manager will perform the following duties with transparency and integrity, and in adherence to the policies as provided by the HIHAO.
- Develop the project monthly and quarterly plans, implement approved project plans, lead the project team, and allocate resources to project team properly.
- Improve farmers’ knowledge and capacity to use resource – and water efficient production in their enterprises. .
- Make sure environmentally sustainable small and medium-sized enterprises, get improved access to starter packages and financing.
- Mange cooperation agreements between saffron cooperatives at district level and private
- Facilitate saffron farmers’ access to the value chain efforts through farming cooperatives at the district level.
- Make sure integration of saffron producers in sustainable value chains with direct access to markets and export opportunities as an internationally competitive export commodity.
- Manage project staff, providing ongoing supervision, technical support and monitoring.
- Oversee data collection and prepare periodic monthly & quarterly narrative reports on project activities.
- Establish and strengthen a solid relationship with DAIL and other departments and stakeholders in Balkh province and report on project progress, and present to stakeholders in the provincial level.
- Make sure the continued participation of women in economic and commercial processes at local level.
- Demonstrate technical leadership, including the procurement of appropriate inputs as required for the project efficiently.
- Ensure achieving the project targets, quality and satisfaction, manage issues, and risks that arises in a project and report on progress as well as problems and solutions.
- Find opportunities and take the initiative to act on them.
- Understand that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on project’s participants.
- Any other task assigned by Program Manager.
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Agribusiness, Development Studies, or other relevant discipline.
- At least five years’ progressive experience in project management, with focus on agriculture and saffron projects is required.
- Knowledge of saffron value chains in Afghanistan desirable.
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto well considered.
- Experience leading multi-cultural, multi-lingual teams.
- Evidence of a highly competency of computer literacy.
- Committed and honest in his/her work and organization.
- Ability to provide technical supervision, motivate and train project team and farmers.
Interested applicants should submit their applications comprised of a one-page cover letter explaining his / her interest and suitability for the position along with an updated CV.
The application should send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com please note that applications received after the closing date (April 02, 2022) will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for an interview.
Note: Please clearly indicate the vacancy announcement number in the subject line of your email.