Saffron Master Trainer
|Job Category:||Agriculture & Program|
|Minimum Education Level:||Advance Degree Preferred or University Degree in Agriculture|
|Position Title:||Saffron Master Trainer|
|Organization:||Hand in Hand Afghanistan Organization (HIHAO)|
|Duty Station:||Balkh province|
|Salary Range:||Based on the organization salary scale|
|Announcing Date:||22 March 2022|
|Closing Date:||02 April 2022|
|Number of Position:||One|
|Job Type:||Full time|
|Shift:||7:30 AM – 04:30 PM|
|Experience:||At least five years’ progressive experience in technical and training aspects of saffron is required.|
Hand in Hand Afghanistan Organization (HIHAO) is a not-for-profit organization based in Afghanistan. It started operations in 2007. HIHAO is part of the Hand in Hand (HiH) Global network of independent organizations, working together towards a shared vision to alleviate poverty through job creation. The overall Hand in Hand mission is to promote the economic and social empowerment of women, by supporting the creation of sustainable enterprises, improved livelihoods and jobs.
HIHAO has implemented projects funded by DFID, European Union, CAFOD, WFP, GIZ, USAID, WB, Danida, Sida, Hilti foundation and Hand in Hand International across regions of Afghanistan.
Hand in Hand Afghanistan is implementing the “THE RED GOLD – Improving Afghan livelihoods through saffron cultivation” in Balkh province of Afghanistan. It is a 4 year project from April 2022 – February 2026 funded by the Swedish Postcode Lottery.
The purpose of the project is to introduce sustainable saffron cultivation as a way to increase household income. Saffron is resistant to drought, requires limited amounts of water and can serve as a profitable alternative to opium cultivation. In addition, saffron farming is a culturally and politically accepted occupation for Afghan women. Hence, the project will contribute to economic prosperity and poverty reduction in Balkh province, Afghanistan, through sustainable production of saffron.
Under direct supervision of the Project Manager, Saffron Master Trainer is overall responsible for the technical and capacity building aspects of the project implementation.
The Saffron Master Trainer will perform duties with transparency and integrity, and in adherence to the policies as provided by the HIHAO as following;
- Develop training materials on saffron cultivation, production, pest management and process, packaging and marketing.
- Train the project team on best production techniques, field management and the saffron harvest collection.
- Mentor and oversee the process assisting and training farmers on best practices of Saffron by the Village Saffron Facilitators (VSFs) to improve quality and quantity of their saffron yields
- Assess the farmers’ current practices and provide guidance on how to correct any issues that may limit productivity.
- Analyze the current situation of saffron production, the structure of the sector, trends and share the findings with the project management.
- Set up demonstration fields for practical training on best-filed management systems.
- Provide VSFs and farmers with advices on better use of fertilizer, water and other resources required for saffron production.
- Ensure the provision of high quality seeds/corm for the farmers through the project in-kind supports.
- Ensure appropriate and timely implementation of activities related to saffron harvest post-harvest handling and storage and processing.
- Prepare calendar for the post-harvest activities/processing carried out over saffron from harvest to consumption.
- Provide technical enterprise development support to the saffron processing unions through the project team and directly.
- Provide technical assistance in developing an appropriate marketing strategy for the saffron processor.
- Provide technical assistance to the selected processor on product diversification and maximizing the income from the use of existing machinery.
- Work with the saffron processor for sourcing of required quantity and quality of raw material (saffron) supplies from saffron farmers.
- Understand that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Any other task assigned by Program Manager.
- Advance Degree Preferred or University Degree in Agriculture. At least 3 years’ of progressive experience in saffron projects, with focus on saffron cultivation, production, and processing and form management is required.
- Knowledge of saffron value chains in Afghanistan.
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto well considered.
- Evidence of a highly competency of computer literacy.
- Committed and honest in his/her work and organization.
- Ability to provide technical support and train project team and farmers.
Interested applicants should submit their applications comprised of a one-page cover letter explaining his / her interest and suitability for the position along with an updated CV.
The application should send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com please note that applications received after the closing date (April 02, 2022) will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for an interview.
Note: Please clearly indicate the vacancy announcement number in the subject line of your email.